Monday, 20 March 2017

Get to the Green 5k, Columbia SC

It's my 3rd year running this race. This year they had the usual 5k and 10k but added a 15k to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the race. Every year I get slower :p At least this year I have a good excuse! I aimed to run half and walk half of the race, since 1.5 miles is about the most I've run comfortably since getting piriformis syndrome in Jan. However, I didn't have my watch because I've not been able to find the charger since Jan (a sign from the universe lol). 
Lots of green

The course was similar to the last two 5ks I ran with the only real difference being the finish point. I walked all the hills and regularly took walk breaks to check in on my back/butt. The finish was on a long straight stretch of Divine Street where you could see the finishers timing clock for almost a mile. Here I forced myself to walk a good bit. I felt good the whole time until I dropped my sunglasses almost at the finishers chute and bent down to pick them up. Ouchie! That hurt a lot and I was really afraid I'd pushed to hard and hurt myself again. Based on how I recovered, yes maybe I pushed a tiny bit too much, but barely because after a rest I felt fine. Judging by my pace I either ran really fast (unlikely) or ran way more than I should!

The race itself was well organized and busy. The start area had packet pickup. On course there were lots of marshals as well as two aid stations. The finish area had lots of food and water. It was the second race this year I could have run with Boomer but only realized it when I was running :( I saw dogs running and doggy bowls out at the aid stations.
 I really like this race as a fun healthy way to mark St. Patricks Day, which was my grandads birthday, without getting caught up in the chaos of drinking. They always have great tshirts (cotton for the 5k), medals and if you do want to party the race entry includes entry into the day long festival.
The rest of the day was really exciting because my friend had gone into the hospital the night before and we spent until that afternoon waiting with Bailey (the cocker spaniel) to find out that she was a big sister to a healthy baby boy. Another St. Patrick's Day birthday!

2 comments:

  1. Ooo! What is the news on your friend's baby?!

    This sounds like a cool race and I am happy you got to continue the streak! Be careful though!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a home with him now so we've been putting in a few baby hold stints so they can shower etc. we get the fun cuddles they get the up all night ones he he. Cute as a button tho!
      I'm trying to be patient 😀

      Delete