Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Adulting is hard

I did probably one of the hardest things I've ever done today. I handed in my resignation at work. I've stuck it out for over 6 months and I'm not happy. Really not happy. I've toughed out jobs I didn't like before, as if leaving would mark me as some kind of failure, and it made me beyond miserable. 
I refuse to do that to myself again. I don't need a Ph.D (hello did that), a visa or hell even a big academic career out of this job (it's just a job while we are stuck here). So, I put on my big girl pants, had an incredibly awkward conversation and the result is I won't have a job in 6 weeks. 

A less than ideal work or management situation is one thing but when the other people you work with are actively watching, talking about you(proven for a fact) and hoping you'll fail = 0% support + 100% stress, to me that's the tipping point. In good news until I get another job and my stress dials itself back down I'll be able to refocus on running and other good life stuff again. 
It's been a funny year and a half. Stressful, sad at times, and wonderful (hello getting married).  I think even though this time has knocked my confidence, as losing jobs and being unemployed does, it's made me remember that things do work out, it'll be ok and that's given me the confidence to prioritize my happiness. 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for doing that! Too many people stick with things that are miserable when they shouldn't! I feel sad that your coworkers are so petty and mean. They must be miserable people, themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are miserable but either can't do anything about it or won't. Its just a bad environment in general that seems to bring out the worst in people...so I'd rather leave before I get like that. We'll see what opportunities pop up, hopefully I can start something else by January!!

      Delete