Monday, 2 May 2016

Whole30 week one

I guess I shouldn't title this post whole30, maybe whole30ish.  I'm week one into 30 days of no sugary processed foods, no dairy and no alcohol. 

So why am I doing it:
Because I sometimes I suck at moderation...I like all clean food or just all the food. That is not good for losing weight.
I'm petty good most of the time but it slowly slides out of control and this is a general reset for my body and my eating habits.
I want to concentrate on eating really well and letting the pounds follow rather than obsessing over calories.
I've been feeling a bit like poop for quite a while. Tired (like really tired) all the time, bloated and just generally blah. Since I know my thyroid is fine (checked in blood work this year) I considered going to the doctor to get my hormone levels checked to see if my PCOS was flaring up but I decided to save myself a few hundred bucks just for someone to tell me to lose weight, forgo the kick in the bum and just do what's needed.

The Heart and Sole race really made me think about the fact that I want to live a long and healthy life.

Why only whole30ish?
1. Well from what I've read the people who made the diet aren't dieticans or proper nutritionists. Sure people will love to pick holes in what is common sense, just because they can, but some stuff I don't agree with...like cutting out legumes. 
One of the reasons they suggest to cut them is because they have lots of carbs besides the protein....but runners need some carbs, there are only so many potatoes even an Irish girl can eat. The second is some BS about lectins (sugar binding proteins)....hello stomach acid breaks those bad boys up into non functional pieces. If I can't leave lectins at room temperature on a lab bench I'm sure my body is safe.

2. I'm a vegetarian. I need legumes for protein and as far as processed foods go I'm allowing Quorn since I'm not allowed tofu (although I think the jury is still out on the estrogenic effects of soy) because again I need something other than nuts as a source of protein.

3. I'm weighing myself weekly (they say not to) just because I want to.


I did have one planned cheat meal/evening and oh boy did I make myself sick. I wasn't a glutton I had 2 beers (small ones),a few chips with guac and a slice of chocolate cake. I took the night off for our first lab happy hour and broke so many rules I can't figure out what might have made me ill. I'm so glad I decided against paying for flights to run the Kentucky Derby Half Marathon because it would not have been a good flight, ha ha. It is interesting though maybe I have more food allergies (so far just sesame seeds for sure, which sucks cause they are delicious and Jack Daniels) than I thought.
Oh and I also allowed myself Gatorade during the Flying Pig Half this weekend as my calves were cramping and I had zero energy, thankfully that didn't have any negative consequences.
So according to whole30 I should completely reset but I think the thought of that would just make me quit completely.


What's it been like?
Honestly, the first few days I felt worst rather than better. I was falling asleep straight after work and running. I was drinking so much water I'd be waking up at night to either drink or pee.

Now I feel like I've come out the other side of that as I wasn't too tired today even after 14+ hours of driving in two days. The unquenchable thirst is gone and I'm enjoying not struggling with chocolate etc calling my name (because there is none in the house).

I've lots 3 pounds this week. I'm not naive enough to think this is fat but debloating is almost as nice. It'll be interesting at the end of the month to slowly reintroduce foods and figure out if this is just a processed food effect or something specific.

I'm not endorsing whole30 because a) it wouldn't suit everyone, b) it's a trending diet and I don't generally like them and c) I'm not really doing whole30 more like a inspired by version. That's a lot of information to say hey I'm on a diet but I find the changes that you can make to your body (health and how you feel) in such a short space of time really interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment