Friday, 1 January 2016

Ireland trip 2015

I made it back to the USA for 2016. Happy New Year!
Greenland

I started traveling at 3.30am EDT on Wednesday morning and arrived back in the house in SC at 11.30pm EDT. Oh yes, it was a long day for me. I had something to eat and went straight to sleep. I was awake again at 5am but without the migraine I was carrying around the day before. A 1 hour nap in the afternoon held me over until a respectable bedtime last night but I didn't see midnight other than a quick happy new year after waking up when Boomer barked at the fireworks.

Trip highlights

Seeing my family..human and furry
I got to see my parents, brother, Martina's family and all the various dogs, some for the first time in 3 years or for some the first time at all. Other than my parents oldest dog (12 years old) getting grey and stiff everyone seems much the same and in good health.

Wandering around Dublin and seeing my friends
My parents live around an hour and a half from Dublin in the countryside so I didn't get much time in Dublin but I made a special trip up for a lunch with most of my old friends. I went up early and wandered around some of my favorite spots in the city. It was great to see everyone as plenty of us are scattered around different countries. I left pretty early that night as I had to get a bus home but I was leaving while it was dark and loved taking in all the Christmas lights.






Dublin in Gaelic








The Spire-world largest sculpture lit up as a light sabre
Finally getting a tattoo
I've wanted a tattoo for ages. My brothers girlfriend is training to be a tattoo artist and did one as my Christmas presents. I got a unilome, representing the twisting path to enlightenment. It's smaller than it looks in the picture and less distinct now it's healed, so it's fairly discreet. I love it!

Shopping
Most of what I brought back was junk food...so much for new year, new me ha, ha. However, it'll be tightly rationed over the next 6 months to a year. Other than that I bought really random stuff, like socks and underwear from Penneys (now in Boston as Primark) because they sell cute stuff and much cheaper than I could buy most of it here and hot water bottles because they don't seem to exist here. I also did a little home 'shopping' in my parents attic as it is storing all my stuff and I managed to fit a wine decanter, huge receipe book and hiking bag into my luggage.
Running
Not so much the running itself but the opportunity to visit some really pretty spots especially around the lake. Like I said it was hard to get to go running because the road my house sits on is very busy. It's twisty with no hard shoulder and cars driving around 60mph. I got to go a few times to smaller roads that are quieter. It's a shame because when we were kids the road wasn't busy at all and the whole family would take out our bikes and go for a cycle together. 


I also ran a 5k in aid of Cystic Fibrosis Ireland. It was meant to be flat (not so much). I finished in 25.26. I need to run some more 5ks my head really works against me when I'm running harder.

Kind of see cairns ontop of the hill..older than the pyramids in Eygpt


Little Bro Carting
It was good going home I had a great time. 2 weeks was enough and I was ready to come back by then. It was strange the little things I noticed....all the gum on the sidewalk in the city, how busy it is, how everyone had a cold and how the daylight hours are over an hour shorter this time of year. I think it helped with homesickness a lot. Obviously I miss my family but for the most part what I miss about Ireland is the way life was there. Mostly, I think I miss living in a big more cosmopolitan city with good public transport. It's reinforced the want to move, let's make that happen in 2016!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for a good trip and curing the homesickness for a bit. What big city are you thinking about moving to?

    Your tattoo is cool! :)

    Look at all those cute dogs, awwww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably San Fran or Boston since they both have lots of biotech companies and universities. I'd lean towards San Fran for the climate since Boston is so cold and snowy in the winter but towards Boston because it's probably as close as I can get to home in the US (for short direct flights). Outside the U.S. probably London but that's a long shot :)
      Yep sooo many dogs, it made living with Boomer seem peaceful ha ha but they are cute!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip home. I bet you would like Portland, Oregon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, from what I've heard it sounds awesome, but we'll see where jobs take us!

      Delete