Thursday, 17 September 2015

Henrietta Homemaker .....the beginnings

Well I'm not really Henrietta Homemaker, more like her dysfunctional sister Suzy. After Apple picking and pumpkin buying on Sunday I decided to make something with the lovely produce we bought.
 My first attempt at making pumpkin butter was a clove laden disaster. The second much better.
 I can't pretend to have an exact receipe but basically I roasted a small pumpkin and then mushed it up in Apple cider. I added cinnamon, all spice and ground cloves (slowly like a 1/4 tsp at a time, tasting the entire time) once happy, I added enough Apple cider to make the mixture pretty runny and let simmer on a low heat for two hours. The result went really well on my oatmeal this morning.
I also made Apple jelly which tastes delicious but didn't really set. I have a ton of apples left so no doubt I'll be making more messes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment