Sunday, 9 August 2015

D.N.B

"I'm not a Do Nothing Bitch"  was the phrase uttered by UFC champion Ronda Roussey when someone criticized her by saying she was masculine. She explained that every muscle on her body had a job and she wasn't gonna sit back and wait for anyone to look after her.
 Apparently being at the top of your game and having some muscle on your frame constitutes masculine. I think she is strong and  a whole lot bigger than me (and I don't mean that in a bad way) but masculine, no way!!  I have a huge admiration for her. Not everyone likes fighting but I still can't help be in awe of the dedication and years of training it takes to dominate a sport the way she does.
Anyhow, it's a concept (D.N.B) that I've been thinking about. It's a mentality and perhaps an aspect of feminism I haven't thought about too much. I'm not the bra burning type but it certainly pisses me off when I see perfectly capable women play dumb and or weak because they'd rather let someone else take care of things. 
http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/08/ronda-rousey-dont-be-a-do-nothing-bitch-shirts/

I have another word for that lazy!! They don't want to make decisions or do anything. Maybe it's the way I was brought up, but I was never anyone's princess. I helped out all of the time; inside -cleaning, cooking etc. and equally outside -mowing grass and cleaning up. If I don't know how to do something I figure it out, give it a try and then ask for help. Hell, I've had girls come to me and say 'oh the printer has a paper jam' and look at me expecting me to solve the problem...Jebus open the printer and pull out the jammed paper.

 I work in an area of science with people that are probably 10 million times more book smart than me but still hang around waiting for a career to be handed to them. I don't believe in the work all day and night mentality that permeates science and I think maternity leave in the U.S. is a joke. So I don't think overtime or how long you take a break from work with a baby matters. I'm not talking about that at all but the day to day attitude of 'oh I couldn't do that'. 
At the end of the day the future of women and women in science is how we are perceived. However, if you can't get your crap together, being a girl is no excuse. Don't be a D.N.B!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, I haven't heard this phrase. Interesting!!!! I don't like seeing people act helpless either. However, this makes me think of my relationship with my husband and some of the tasks we rely on the other to do, cause they are better at it, enjoy it more. Some things I DON'T try to figure out, cause I know he'll want to. Guess I AM lazy ;) (but then he does all the cooking and I clean so the gender roles are all messed up there. a bit off topic, oops!)

    But when I am on my own? Or at the office? Or with friends? Yeah, I am figuring stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the give in take Ina relationship is way different to life in general. There is stuff I hate to do so I just make up for it by doing other things so I don't think you are lazy :) actually I've only met a few people who I would say are like this all the time and it really gets under my skin but I think it's the first time I've heard it phrased that way too!

      Delete