Sunday, 30 August 2015

A flying visit to Salem MA

After the race on Sunday I hopped in the car and drove around 40 minutes to Salem MA. This is very close to Boston and the site of the Salem witch trials in the 1690s. I was curious about the town as even growing up in Ireland I had heard about the witch trails even if it was through watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
We scored free parking straight away and went to find breakfast/lunch. For the few days I was with my friends were so nice and hunted down vegan/vegetarian restaurants and today was no exception. We went to Life Alive. They had lots of tasty food but nothing really breakfasty (which I hadn't had yet) but I wasn't too hungry after the race so I opted for coffee (in a nifty contraption) and an amazing smoothie.
Then we went off along the Main Street following a trail with creepy statues of the trials victims. We then spent around 20 minutes in the Salem Witch Museum and got a great tour which outlined the background and history of the Witch Trials. Just walking around the town was fun as they even had some very serious Wiccan shops. I would have liked to take more pictures in there but they don't want tourist clogging up their shops just to take photos. In all we only had around 2.5 hours in Salem (had to return the hire car). I'd love to go back and explore more. I think it's an amazing place to go to learn about a very interesting piece of history.







No comments:

Post a Comment