Friday, 10 April 2015

Oak Barrel Half Marathon, TN 2015

I'm quite enjoying my relaxed state of running halfs. I feel like a hotel were the potta-potties...not so clean,  oh well only  3-stars. Really that is all I'm doing right now, logging some miles to maintain my endurance fitness, having fun and traveling to new places

Another race, another new state. This race was a bucket list one for me. I tried to register for it last year race but it sells out really fast. It was definitely differently themed thats for sure...taking place in the home of Jack Daniels in Lynchburg, TN. JD were one of the sponsors so packet pickup took place in the distillery visitor centre and the 'medals' (is it called a medal when its made out of wood?) were made from old JD barrels, hence the name Oak Barrel Half Marathon.

I took a day off on Friday and spent the day driving (around 7 hours). I checked, Atlanta traffic still makes me so mad!
We arrived, checked into the hotel and drove the 20 minutes from Tullahoma to Lynchburg to get my bib. There was no expo just a simple packet pickup with a really nice long sleeve top. I wanted to run a couple of miles that evening to loosen up after the drive but mother nature decided to throw a massive thunder storm at us right as we got back to the hotel.

On a side note Lynchburg is possibly the smallest town I've been to in the US hence the 20 minute drive for a hotel.

The next morning I got up at 6 (thank you again central time zone I love you) and got a bagel and coffee at the hotel breakfast which opened early! I left ASAP to get to the race because I knew parking would be limited. Once we got there everything was very well organized with spaces being assigned.
 It was freezing and everything was soaked from the night before so trips to and from the car were begrudgingly done, especially since we were parked on grass and I hate running with wet shoes. The race was big and as we lined up to start runners filled an entire was kind of cool. I lined up around the 10 minute per mile sign and tried not to freeze my ass off with the breeze that was blowing on us.

As soon as we got started and got off that hill the breeze was non-existant and I warmed up quickly. I was still happy to have my gloves as well as a long sleeve t-shirt but the jacket I was wishing for at the start would have been overkill.
The course took us out into the countryside straight away and I saw a large number of cattle for the first time since I left Ireland. Then I immediately regretted my nostalgia. We ran past a stinking poo covered field and some cows eating silage, I knew I had lost my country almost made me sick. After that it was very nice and pretty and not-smelly, ha ha.  All went well and I took it easy knowing the infamous 'Whiskey Hill' was coming up. I think it started somewhere around mile 4.5. 
Most of it is not that steep but it goes on forever and just when it has ground your calves into mince meat and your lungs want you to die, it gets really steep for about a quarter of a mile.

When I got to the top I wanted to walk to catch my breath, even after walking on some of the hill, but I knew an aid station was coming up so I made myself crawl along at a jog and then walked through that to get some fluids. The course flattens out for a few miles and then the last 5 miles of the race are  glorious downhill most of the time. That was really fun. Other than the big hill, I felt fantastic the entire time. No knee or hip pain, nothing other than some slightly tight shoulders from the drive, yay.

There were aid stations every two miles and the volunteers from various charities went all out trying to compete for some extra money for their charity. The bibs had an extra tab to vote for the best one (No. 6 all the way-Wizard of Oz themed). I also saw some potta-potties on course but my stomach was happy this time so no stops, but I do know they had them at more than one point.

The finish area was set up around the town square. There was lots of food and drinks. No alcohol, ironically Lynchburg the home of JD is in a dry county. Despite that there was quite a party atmosphere. There were a lot of slower runners with a generous time limit of 4 hours which meant lots of first time finishers and their families were out supporting  them. I think that and the fact that they let all the supporters and runners mix completely in the finish area made it fun.

 I was trilled with the medal and as a bonus they had sports socks and the choice of a visor or hat for finishers. I've never worn a visor so I got that to try out. We hung out for a while, browsing all the small shops around the square.

The people here were so friendly and nice. Most of the shops even let Boomer inside. I didn't even try to go in with him, the owners made a point of inviting him in!! He really is going to think he is a little prince. We might have spent a bit of money as a result finding some cute things to remember the trip.

That afternoon we tried and decided not to go on the JD distillery tour, which I've heard is really good, as it was over an hour long and we'd have to take it in turns as we had Boomer with us. If you like JD they were also offering to engrave bottles with the race logo, your name and finishing time for $10 but since I can't drink JD I didn't go for it.

The next morning the long trek home started. I don't know if it was because I was tired but it seemed so much longer on the way back. We took a different route and detoured to see the Amicola Falls where the Adirondack Trail begins. The falls were huge and the hike up the trail and 400+ steps to the top were tough...tougher than a recovery run! Another 2.5 hours of driving and we made it to beautiful Greenville and Mikes Burgers (really good) for a late dinner before starting the last leg home.

An exhausting but fun weekend. Tennessee is now off my list unless circumstances make it really easy to do a race there. A beautiful state and a great race!!
Chip time 2.01.55

I have two more races that I've registered for this year in order to complete new states; Hatfield Mccoy Half Marathon in WV (another long drive in June) and the Ashbury Park Half Marathon in NJ  later this month (work conference associated). I have one more that I might be able to do in RI the morning before I go to another work conference but that conference is not rock solidly organised right now so no registration. Other than that one local race and thats it. Once life settles down I might try figure out a few more in the fall or just sign up for some 5/10ks. One I do want to do is the Mrytle Beach Mini Marathon in October for their awesome surf board medals. Yes I'm a bling junkie!!


  1. Nice job!!! You are doing so well with getting your states in! How many do you have now?

    That medal is so dang cool! AND OMG THAT HILL! Thank heavens for the downhill! :)

    I love when aid stations go all out like that. I wonder which one won! :)

    1. I would say 6 won judging by the difference in votes when I finished. I have 7 so far...a few more to go ha ha!!

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.