Sunday, 26 April 2015

Amicola Falls

On the way back from Tennessee a few weeks ago I stopped off at Amicola Falls in Georgia on the way home. I had three reasons for this 1.) I love waterfalls 2.) this is pretty much the southernmost point of the Smokies/Blue Ridge Parkway which we've been exploring for two years now and 3.) I've always been intrigued by the idea of just heading off hiking for a few months. Amicola Falls is the start of the Appalaichian Trail which runs all the way from Georgia to Maine. 
Maybe some day I'll go hike this or the PCT (out west) or maybe even the Camino de Santiago in France and Spain. I'm mostly inspired by books The Way, Wild and AWOL on the Appalaichian. What we hiked was the approach trail...man I think I'd need to stop for the night after that ha ha!
Boomer was pretty afraid of the steps on the way up, all 400+, as they were made of metal grate, we had to carry him for some of them so it was an upper body workout too. However at one point he coached the most adorable little two year old girl up, as she wanted to catch the puppy! I'd definetely suggest a stop here if you are in North Georgia it was absolutely beautiful.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, look at all of those stairs! Looks beautiful - I can only imagine what it looks like during the summer when everything is green. You would love some of the sections of the PCT here in Oregon. Someday, I would like to hike the trail through - at least in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably really green even now. The mountains around that area are beautiful but then again you are spoilt in Oregon..I keep see pictures and wanting to go :)

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't it be amazing to take off and do one of those long hikes?! Ahhh, maybe someday :)

    In that first photo I was so confused by the white and thought it was snow for a second! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I think I'm too much of a control freak/chicken to take a long enough break from work to do it...retirement plans ha ha! No snow...I would like to see it now as it should be nice and green :)

      Delete