Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Rearrangements

http://www.cute-wallpaper.com/preview.asp?id=3132

So everyone at this stage should know I'm crazy and plan to run 12 half marathons this year. 7 down 5 to go. I have everything registered for except for one. I think the reason I haven't committed to registering for the last one because it was the one race I was feeling a bit meh about.

Honestly, I think the only reason I picked it because it was in Alabama and I wanted to tick off another state. Thats a little stupid. Well not stupid in general, everyone has their goals, it'd be fine if I was only doing a couple races and not 12, as well as training for a marathon.

I've decided to scrap it from my plans for a few reasons:
 a) it'd be a second weekend in a month I'd have to leave Boomer at home, which is not fair on him
b) its over 4 hours away
 c) cost-its a $90 entry fee at the moment, too pricey in my opinion for a small half, and the extra long journey means extra money on gas (and possibly car repairs!).
d) I'll be exhausted as I'll be ramping up marathon training...travel will not help

At the moment my remaining races stand as:
RnR Virginia Beach (yes also pricey and far away)
Another one in the mountains, The Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon (super cheap registration, not too far)
 Two races around an hour from home (both cheap registration and close)

To meet my self imposed challenge of 12 halfs in 12 months, instead of Alabama, I'm going to run the Governors Cup Half Marathon here, in Columbia, in November. It'll mean two halfs in two weekends again but these will truly be training runs as I'll be well into marathon training by then.
 I have a 20 mile run scheduled for that day so it'll be nice to have company, drinks, gels etc. readily available for 13 miles instead of having to carry them or have drop off points. I'll run the 2 miles to the race start, run the race and then run another 5 on the other end.

I decided on 12 races to limit myself as there are so many cool half marathons within driving distance from here, but I'm not going to sign up for races just because they fit in a schedule. I feel happier about this decision as it'll mean that the race will truly count and by that I mean be enjoyable and useful instead of ticking off another race for an arbitrary goal when that isn't what it was supposed to be in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment