Saturday, 5 July 2014

My 4th of July

4th of July as usual (now my 3rd in the states) was a great day, really relaxing. Of course the Irish people hosted the party. A bunch of our American friends came around and we ate and drank way too much. I pulled together some last minute easy food for the vegetarians while our friends brought meat for themselves to grill. By far my favourite food that I made was a avocado, corn and tomato salad that was super easy to make.
Ingredients:
12 medium Plum tomatoes (chopped)
2 avocados (chopped)
1 can of corn
Juice 1 Lime
1 packet of mild taco seasoning mix

Another favourite were these roasted garlic potatoes with some roasted bell pepper and mayo.
This is a giant pan of smores bars, the best desert that exists, unfortunately I can't claim credit for these.
 
Of course we stuck some corn on the grill

I also whipped up some bruschetta with a nice bread and pre-made sauce from TJ's. Some cheese and 5 minutes in the oven and viola, deliciousness on a plate.

We set up a load of games like can-jam and corn hole in the back yard and everyone sat out and chilled for the day.
Too much food
Once the sun started to set we headed inside and watched some TV until around 9.30pm, when the local baseball game finished. That is when we got our own private fireworks show. We were suitably impressed but Boomer was most definitely not. He is now passed out, exhausted from running around with loads of people paying attention to him and playing with a 7 month old doberman all day.

I didn't drink enough to be drunk/hungover, pacing is important,  but I'm breaking my morning running rule to rehydrate a little. Not looking forward to running in the heat but its worth it for a great day with friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment