Friday, 20 June 2014

To join or not to join?

I'm in a kind of limbo land as far as my social life goes right now. The only friends I have are the people I work with. Most of whom are younger than me. There is nothing wrong with that but I would like to have some friends my own age. I'm not interested in dating or partying and I'm not the wild night out sort of girl, so I guess that excludes the bar scene.

I'm pretty shy (at first) so I find it hard to meet people. I've been thinking about joining a running club that I've found, as an easy way to at least have some acquaintances outside work, with similar interests. I have a pretty jam packed running schedule on the cards, until December, so I might only be able to run with them once or twice a week. It would have the added bonus of getting access to a certified running coach for advise and training!!

What do you think? Besides work what have you found is the best way to meet people, that isn't super awkward?

4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, yes, go for the club. That is how I met most of my local friends where I live now! :) (well, aside from bloggers). 1-2x a week is enough to make new friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give it a try at least once and report back :)

      Delete
  2. I have always thought that meeting new friends at our age is a lot like dating - it is not easy at all. I think you should absolutely join a running club or at least give it a try. You can always opt out if it isn't for you. A lot of my friends are either friends I have had for years (think growing up and college) and people who I have met through friends. I have a met a few people through the triathlon/running scene as well. Personally, I wish a lot of my blogging friends lived a lot closer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is like dating...I've said that many times! Maybe that's why I find it so awkward.

      Delete