Saturday, 25 January 2014

Red Shoe Run, Columbia SC

J

Another race, another PR this time at a 10k race. I smashed my previous 10k PR (59:11)  by 7 minutes 19 seconds for a new record of 51:52.
This was again a small local race with both a 5 and 10k, I opted for the 10k as that's what my current training called for (Hal Hidgon's intermediate half marathon program). It was a flat course around some nice neighborhoods in Columbia. Even better pre-race registration and post-race events were held in a middle school, thank goodness since it was well below freezing the entire time. Best of all, the proceeds go to the local Ronald McDonald house.
Post-race Earth Fare provided bagels and bananas and coffee was also on supply. Much needed afterwards. 
I wore full length tights, a long sleeve thermal top, a technical tee, a running jacket, two pairs of gloves, a headband and hat. I was very grateful for it all especially at the start but by the end it was all soaked thru and in some spots refrozen.
At first I thought I was running too fast and I wouldn't be able to hold the pace but obviously I underestimate my speed. I do like to run at a comfortable pace...maybe too comfortable. A nice confidence boost for my planned half time tho. Either the sheer number of miles I've ran in the last 12 months or the speed work I've been doing for the last two months are really paying off. 
51:52 12th Female, 2nd in age group (30-34).

Now for some much needed RnR. Anyone else racing in the cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment