Thursday, 23 January 2014

I'm back bitches!!

After a rea-eheh-eally long hiatus I'm back to blogging. 

Apologies but I didn't want to spend two-three months telling you the hundred different ways marathon recovery with an IT band injury thrown into the mix sucks. 
It was a long break from running and blogging. It definitely made me evaluate both and appreciate them in their own ways. 
As often as I say "eugh I have to run tonight" when I'm training, two months of no running really brought home the fact that running has turned into an addiction. I hated seeing runners out and about!!! 
The appreciation for blogging took a bit longer to come home to stay. I honestly thought about scrapping my blog but planning for the coming year made me realize that I wanted to share my experiences. I just have to remember I'm not a full time blogger not every post has to be epic or on a daily basis. 

So what happened or has been happening.....well post marathon I tried running too soon and ended up with IT band issues not only in my right leg ( thank you marathon) but on both legs, with knee and hip pain. Very persistent pain. Weeks slid into a couple of months later and nothing was getting better....two steps forward, ten backwards. I tried RICE at every opportunity. I seriously thought I'd have to bite the bullet and hit up some doctors with my crappy insurance.
Then I did something I should have done eons ago and headed back to my massage lady (aka angel in disguise). I got a two package massage: 30 minutes of myofasial release for my IT band/ upper leg and 30 minutes of general massage (why not). I found out that yeah my legs in general weren't in great shape but what was much worst was pretty much EVERY GD muscle around my hips. One 30 min massage, another week of abstinence with stretching and foam rolling and I was as good as new!!
It's official you can call me a stubborn idiot. 

Like seeing the joys of the world after an awful hangover my body became a whole different animal. That was early December. I've had no knee pain since and only occasional awareness of my outer hip area. I can now tell when things are beginning to tighten up and correct it before it becomes a problem. I keep thinking there is no way one massage can fix me but I'm now halfway (well after a 10k race on Saturday) thru a half-marathon training program without any injuries.


I'm loving training right now. Half marathon training is nothing to sneeze at but it feels like a breeze compared to marathon training amid a South Carolina summer. I know everyone says progress from a half to a full marathon but I skipped that and I'm enjoying it the other way around. I'm pushing hard to improve rather than just wanting to finish runs without dying by the side of the road. I'm still slow as a snail but my pace is getting faster. I even came first in my age group at a local 5k. It was a really small race, I'd be near the back if it wasn't, but that didn't stop me being chuffed when I crossed the line for a new 5k PR of 25:11.

 
So what's in store for this year......

I want to run a ridiculous number of half marathons....some to set a PR since the half I planned to run during marathon training was cancelled, some for fun...sightseeing, race bling and to keep me running consistently.



Hesitantly, toe in the water...maaaybe another marathon next winter. I'd like to run one without hills (ahem mountains) without an injury because I know I could with some serious training take at least 35 minutes of my last time (4:45).


So, I'm sorry I haven't been around. Stick with or join me for a fun year. 



1 comment: