Wednesday, 9 October 2013

First post-marathon run

After twiddling my thumbs for a week, slowly going crazy, I finally decided on Monday..screw this I'm gonna run (1 week 1 day post-marathon). My knee didn't hurt anymore, why not? Bad, bad idea! I was full of the joys of life for around a mile and a half and then it all went downhill.

After that point my right knee (the one I injured) began to hurt, not unbearable but it reminded me I probably shouldn't be running. Towards the end of the run my left knee decided it wanted to join the party and hurt worst than the right one. I've had ITBS on and off with my right knee for over a year but never my left, WTF. 3.5 miles in 40 minutes, grrrrrr! I was as fresh as a daisy at the end...I never even broke a sweat despite the fact that it was over 30˚C when I ran, but the pain was just too much.

I feeling pretty frustrated, somewhere along the way I've become a running addict and not being able to go out and run even 3 miles pain free is frustrating.
I'm still stretching a lot and I think most of my problems not only stem from my IT band but the fact that every muscle around my hip area is really tight. That run has been my one piece of exercise so far this week!
When I don't exercise I don't sleep well..which means I'm slowly going crazy. I was meant to go swimming this morning but getting up before 6am when I'd hardly slept just wasn't happening. The state fair is in town right now..I'm gonna go tonight and have fun. Tomorrow its back to exercise, early mornings and all!
I am excited to try out a runners specific yoga class that is running at my favorite yoga studio for the next few weeks....thats the plan for Thursday.
I have to keep reminding myself that taking a few weeks away from running to recover and heal is not going to affect my fitness too dramatically...well no worst than trying to run, making injuries drag on for months!!

I have to surrender to what my body needs but its hard for a control freak to do that :)

Anyway, I hope your week and running are going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment