Monday, 12 August 2013

Cross training

So not me!!
sportingmaniac.com 
What do you consider cross training?

Well so far I've read that swimming and cycling are two of the best exercises to use for cross training in relation to running. So far I've been content to swim for 50 minutes or so and go to a yoga class as well...depending on how I feel.

I've been thinking about cross training a lot because as much as I like swimming after around 20 minutes I tend to get bored. I'm pretty sure I could swim for way more than an hour but eventually boredom always gets me.
Cycling is just not an option..I hate it with a passion....its something I've never improved at no matter how hard I've tried. One small hill and I'm a mess. This probably makes it an excellent cross training exercise for me..but no sir I'm not doing it.

Everyone always says "do what you enjoy", it'll keep you at it for longer. Too true. I like to run and although I'm not the best runner I've been plugging away at it for years. I might never win any races but it keeps me fit and healthy.

What about the stuff you HAVE to do?
I have an extremely large backyard. When you take into account the back yard and front yard, mowing the lawn can take 2 hours on a good day and 3+ if I've let the yard grow free for a little while. All mowed with an old fashioned push mower, usually in 80F+ heat with high humidity. This week I didn't have time or the money to head to the gym or classes but plenty of jobs had to be done around the house. Once again I looked out and sighed..the grass was getting to the point where I knew that if I didn't cut it that day it was going to be the end of the week before I got around to it and then I'd have an epic battle on my hands.
I mowed and mowed and mowed! I had to stop several times to wipe sweat from my eyes as it was literally pouring off of me..as much as when I'm running hard. What a work out.


Lawn mowing with a push mower can burn as many as 500 calories per hour. 500 calories by 2.5 hours = 1500 calories. Cross training by definition is meant to be training other muscles that are not used so much in running right? Well walking and running use slightly different sets of muscles and pushing that mower sure used my core muscles and arms. Add the weight of the mower and tthe longish grass and there was lots of resistance. Resistance, using different muscle groups and a decent calorie burn. I'm pretty sure I cross trained.

Any unconventional cross training suggestions? What do you find works?

No comments:

Post a Comment